Top 5 Things To Do In The Highlands
The Highlands of Scotland is a favourite destination for travellers and adventurists. This ancient and breathtakingly beautiful part of the world has a breadth of opportunities for all tastes.
Whether you want a quiet pampering break or an extreme sports holiday, travel in the highlands of Scotland has it all.
Here are my 5 recommended places to travel in the highlands of Scotland:
- Cairngorms National Park, Britain’s largest national park. It offers a unique range of landscapes, wildlife and activities. Whether you want to go white water rafting, mountain climbing or wildlife watching Carngorms has it all!
- The world famous Loch Ness. You can take a cruise on this famous loch and maybe have a glimpse at the mystical monster that lives beneath!
- Fort George is my recommended historical site. Fort George is Europe’s best preserved 18th century fort and is the only ancient monument that is still functioning in Scotland.
- Scotland’s Speyside Malt Whiskey Trail. Visit whiskey distilleries, learn how they make the world famous beverage. Speyside has a rich whiskey heritage with many great pubs with friendly locals.
- Fly fishing in Sky Ghillie. Catch famous Scottish salmon and maybe spot a golden eagle while rowing down the Misty Isles’ beautiful rivers.
By far the best way to travel in the highlands of Scotland is by train. This gives you an opportunity to take in the amazing scenery. There are two train stations in the highlands, Inverness & Fort William and these have regular services to and from all major UK destinations.
These are just a small portion of what you can do when you travel in the highlands of Scotland. The Scottish highlands are one of the safest, most vibrant and beautiful places to travel in Europe and certainly will be a trip to remember.